have a slice of humble crumbled pie

In the midst of a human physiology-studying-frenzy last week, I came home from the library in a tizzy. And to a kitchen already filled with baked goods. And not just ordinary baked goods, Communal Baked Goods.

Living in a house with four of my best friends certainly has its ups:

1. We know everything about everyone, whether we like it or not.
2. We know what each other are thinking...at least 75% of the time.
3. Basically, it's hilarious to live with these people.
4. Communal Baked Goods.

So let me formulate a definition...

Communal Baked Goods (noun, plural) a: of or relating to a community and its consumption of baked delicacies without judgment from others b: goods either baked for communal purposes or are deemed communal after their original use for consumption has been fulfilled
i.e. "Andy and I are done eating this delicious tiramisu I made for our special date dinner. It is now Communal!" - Leah

In the words of my high school physics teacher (Mr. Arnold, I believe his name was), I hope that was "clearish".


Anyway. As I walked into the kitchen the Communal Baked Goods that had already been baked were: chocolate Resee's Pieces cookies, baked by Neho, and white cake with cookie crumble on top and bottom, concocted by Anita. And then I gladly contributed this Humble Crumbled Pie to the slew of sweets. Because, obviously, there wasn't enough deliciousness to go around in our house.

So one of my favorite things to do is raid the cupboards and fridge to see what lonely baking ingredients I can find, and then, I put them all together and voila! A new creation has been made. This stressful night, I was craving nothing other than crumble. How convienent to find a lost, lonely refrigerated pie crust in my fridge, just waiting to be rolled out into something delicious.

Away I went making some crumbs and filling up that crust. Baked it for a bit until brown, and out popped Humble Crumbled Pie.

While it was pretty decent-tasting, I must admit that I was slightly disappointed. Maybe it was the old pie crust? Perhaps it was my rush to bake, and I didn't take the time to put some love in this creation? Whatever though. It still was consumed just the same. :)

Oh, and it was much more delicious with some caramel drizzled over the top.

Humble Crumbled Pie

2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 refrigerated pie crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out pie crust and place on cookie sheet. Mix together oatmeal, butter, flour, and brown sugar. Crumble it all on top of the crust, leaving an inch away from the sides uncrumbled. Fold over the dough to make a crust.

Bake until browned, about 15 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts