red velvet rolls

Are you craving something ridiculous? Something that will wow your date? Something that will submerge you in the deepest sugar coma you've ever been in?

Well, search no longer, my friends, for have I the recipe for you! RED VELVET CINNAMON ROLLS.
Yes, you heard me right. I've been seeing a lot of red velvet-y things these days. I think it's def making a comeback, and man, am I glad because I am a huge red velvet fan!! However, when I am dripping that eerie red dye into the batter, I do cringe a little inside... But for the occasional red velvet treat, I'm willing to take the risk ;) Hopefully my someday-children won't have 3 heads or something equally as wild due to my red velvet consumption.
I found this recipe from Country Cleaver for Red Velvet Rolls awhile back and made them as one of three diabetes-inducing desserts for this past Easter.
Sigh. And they call me a Registered Dietitian. And on that note, I've actually started another blog! Erm...which may be why there are fewer patticake posts as of late. Anyway, call me hypocritical but it's called miss dietitian and I'd love if you checked it out! :)
 

Back to all things sugar and fat, however. These babies are amazing. I am not kidding when I say they will knock the literal socks off of your sorry little feet. And the clincher? The CHOCOLATE SUGAR MIXTURE IN THE MIDDLE. Oh dear, Lord.

Okay, I've done enough ranting. Now go! Run! HURRY. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!? Go make these, and then grab your closest friends and eat these with a large glass of non-fat milk! (you know...for calcium, and protein, and to cancel out the crazy amount of sugar in this recipe ;)

Knock Your Socks Off Red Velvet Rolls

Taken from Country Cleaver's Red Velvet Rolls...with a few patticake changes.

Ingredients

Red Velvet Rolls:
1 pint non-fat milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp red food coloring, Wilton works good
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 package active dry yeast, .25 ounce
4 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt


Filling:
3 Tbsp cocoa powder, divided
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar


Frosting:
1 package 1/3 less fat cream cheese, room temperature
3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup non-fat milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Dash salt

Directions

Dough:
For the dough, heat up milk, oil, sugar, vinegar, food coloring and cocoa in a sauce pan over medium heat until it reaches about 101 degrees. Remove from heat and sprinkle dry yeast over the top and let rest for 5 minutes.


In large bowl, whisk together flour and warm milk/oil/sugar/yeast mixture. Cover with towel and set aside in warm place for 1 hour to rise. 


When dough has risen, mix in baking soda, baking powder and salt. Use immediately or place in fridge for next day's use.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.


For Filling:
Split dough in half and work with one half at a time. Set aside the other half of the dough for the next round of filling and rolling. On floured surface, roll dough into a 15 by 10 inch rectangle. Key note: FLOURED SURFACE. Don't want your kitchen counter to be a lovely shade of red at the end of this baking adventure.


In bowl, whisk together melted butter, sugar and cocoa powder. Test to make sure the proportions are to your liking, add more sugar or cocoa depending on desired taste.
Pour sugar/butter/cocoa mixture onto the rolled out dough, distribute/spread evenly. Beginning from the furthest edge tightly roll the dough towards you. When you reach the ends of the roll, pinch the edges of the dough together to create a seam. Slice log into 1 1/2" rolls, and place rolls into baking dish lightly coated with butter.


Repeat this process with other half of dough, rolling out, filling, rolling together and slicing. Let dough rise for at least 20 minutes. When I made these, I let them rise overnight since I wanted them freshly out of the oven right before I served them the next day.


Place baking dish with rolls into oven for about 17 minutes. Remove and let cool on wire cooling rack.


For Frosting:
In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment beat cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add in 1 cup of sugar at a time, alternating with a few tablespoons of milk until it's all mixed together. Add in rest of milk, vanilla extract and salt. Pour or smooth over red velvet rolls while they are still warm.


Slice and devour.


Adapted from Ree Drummond's Cinnamon Rolls and inspired by Paula Deen's Red Velvet Cake.

Comments

Popular Posts