Day-off lunch


I had yesterday off since I worked the weekend and, man, was it an amazing feeling. Slept in, did some reading, did some Netflix-ing, and then I made these bad boys. I've been on a roasted veggie kick for awhile now, mostly because it's just so stinkin' easy. You wash your veg, you cut it up, you throw it on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil, sea salt, pepper, or my current favorite - hot red pepper flakes - and then you stick in in the oven at 400 degrees, toss them a few times (make sure they don't burn!) and you are good to go, my friend. Yesterday I made some roasted broccoli and eggplant. I chopped up some garlic and mixed it with the broccoli and it came out pretty excellent.

And then, of course, I needed to have some bread with it. I realized, recently, that when I bake bread at home, it's never whole wheat bread, but I always buy whole wheat bread when I'm at the store. I don't know why this is....I think part of it is a laziness factor in that I don't want to buy two separate flours.......

I've been using this recipe for a no-knead bread for awhile now, and I have to say that it is pretty delicious. I've even modified it to make it without yeast! You know, for those days that you want a delicious hunk of steamy dreamy bread but are half-way through the recipe and find that you are out of yeast. Believe, I've been there, and I feel your pain. So what do I do during these hard times? I just replace the 3 tbsp. of active dry yeast that the recipe calls for with 3 tsp. of baking powder. I'm just there's a more scientific substitution of baking powder for yeast, but I've found this conversion works for this recipe. The bread with rise, but will be a little more different texture-wise. It almost reminds me of Irish soda bread texture.

And now that I've perused Pinterest to find that no-knead bread recipe, which made me looks through all of my other pinned recipes, I suddenly want to eat copious amounts of dessert.

So once the bread was baked, I simply ate all three of my masterpieces together, all dipped in some hummus. It was way delicious, and I highly recommend.

Comments

Popular Posts