oreo peanut butter crumble cookies

OK, admit it...you've dunked your Oreo in more than just milk. So what could be better than a peanut butter-dunked Oreo? Basically, they're made for each other and were the inspiration behind this cookie. Not that I'm never inspired by peanut butter, or anything...

So these cookies are a tribute to Father's Day, which is this Sunday. My Dad is probably the hugest male chocoholic that I know...do not deny this man of his daily chocolate quota! Or else chaos will surely ensue. I am sure that he will love these cookies since he's also a huge peanut butter fan. Hmmm...could this love of peanut butter possibly be genetic? :) However, my Dad would be disappointed not only by the fact that I used creamy peanut butter for these cookies, but Meijer brand creamy peanut butter. Eeep...sorry Dad! His peanut butter of choice? Jif crunchy: the one with the blue cap.

The recipe I used to create these peanut butter monstrosities is a great basic recipe to keep, if you are a fan of making-up your own cookies with different toppings, mix-ins, and such. Basically, it's the Nestle Toll House Cookie recipe. Funny story on how I came across this recipe...my high school chemistry teacher wanted to give us an extra credit assignment. So what better way to learn stoichiometry than by asking your students to double or half a chocolate chip cookie recipe and bring in the results for the class to taste-test? Obviously, this was my favorite unit of my chemistry class, and I am still wondering why CHEM 130 at The University of Michigan fails to recognize this important (and very worthwhile!) assignment. Gahhh, that darn "Michigan Difference"...

After messing around with this recipe over the years, I've made some alterations. I've decreased the butter to make the cookies more cake like, and also decreased the sugar, because, believe me, you will not miss it. Again, future dietitian coming out. Sorry. :) By the way, pictured above is the delicious peanut butter crumble that goes on top of these bars. Mmmmm.

So a weird quirk about me...I always always make my cookies in bar-form. I know, not at all traditional. But why is this a better cookie-making method? Let me count the ways...

1. Less mess - you only dirty one pan. Imagine all that time saved not washing all those baking sheets!
2. Less time - it only takes 20 minutes for 24 bar cookies to bake.
3. Deliciousness factor - bar cookies are denser than your humble round cookie.

4. Sometimes it is about appearances - bar cookies look professional and neat every time. I don't know about you, but my circle cookies rarely come out as nice, neat circles. Call me a perfectionist, but this bothers me.

Convinced? It's alright if you're not. But try making bar cookies, just once, and maybe then you'll be swayed. :)



Oreo Peanut Butter Crumble Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 stick butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs

For topping:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup peanut butter

1 cup Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.

In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In large bowl, beat butter, sugars, and vanilla until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Spread dough into prepared pan.

With fork, mix together flour and sugars. Cut in butter, and mix until crumbly. Stir in peanut butter. Sprinkle mixture over top of batter. Evenly distribute Oreo chunks over peanut butter crumbles, lightly pressing them into the dough.

Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until cookie is golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares, and serve.

Comments

Leah said…
PEANUT BUTTER SMILEY!!! haha

Popular Posts